Lisa Duffy-Korpics's Reviews > A User's Guide to the Brain: Perception, Attention, and the Four Theaters of the Brain

A User's Guide to the Brain by John J. Ratey

Oct 12, 2009

bookshelves: currently-reading
Read in October, 2009

An amazing book that explains all the aspects of the brain in an intelligent, yet accessible way that is easily understood by the regular person. No need to have a Neuroscience degree to grasp this book - however it never talks down to the reader. Written by John J. Ratey, M.D., a clinical professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, this book touches on memory, language, movement, emotion and social ability and how our brain is "plastic" or changeable througout our lives. A study involving a group of Nuns who lived on average, to be 100 years old and over, showed how this group had a much lower rate of Alzheimer's Disease and/or dementia associated with again, then the general population. The major difference? - learning. Constant learning throughout your life. Not only can an old dog learn new tricks - those new tricks can be the key to longer, more productive lives and a healthier brain. While practice may make perfect, it's new tasks that require us to master skills that we've never used before, that keep a brain growing and making new neural connections.

A fascinating read - I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A User's Guide to the Brain.

10/12/2009 page 189