Jessie Carty's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Jan 31, 12

I've had this book on my to read list for quite a while, but I'm glad I waited to read it on my Kindle Fire. The special full cartoon color (yes the protagonist draws cartoons!) edition available on the Kindle is a bit pricey but worth it. Not only do you have the fantastic voice of Junior Spirit to speak to you, but you get to see the full range of his drawings throughout the book. In addition to the terrific text and art are other great extras including a discussion guide, interview witht the author and interview with the artisit who made Junior's artwork come alive.

I'd highly recommend this one and I'd love to teach it someday because there is so much to discuss regarding race, poverty, thinking as a creative person, and simply on how to be good to others (and for the pre-teen boys there are some mentions of - well - you know what goes on in bathrooms when no one is home . . . I also mention that for any adults who might easily offended.

This is another great example of a young adult novel that will be a fanststic read for an adult. I won't be deleting my digital copy anytime soon :) Heck, this might be one of the few books I've bought digitially that I feel the need to also buy in print.
1 like · likeflag

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Beth Browne The audio version is also outstanding. Narrated by the author himself, complete with speech impediment. Brilliant!