Judy's Reviews > For Her Own Good: Two Centuries of the Experts' Advice to Women

For Her Own Good by Barbara Ehrenreich

Apr 12, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, library-book-club
Read in April, 2010

Finally!
Interesting history of the practice of medicine and treatment of women. As a result, "The Yellow Wallpaper" and "Mrs. Dalloway" have new meaning.

I know why we were constantly have tea parties in home ec class and more understanding for the airs put on by my teacher.

I always thought Freud was twisted.

The end is - the woman question really is - that the human values that women were assigned to preserve expand out of the confines of private life and become the organizing principles of society. A society that is organized around human neds: a society in which child raising is not dismissed as each woman's individual problem, but in which the nuturance and well-being of all children is a public priority - a society in which healing is not a commodity distributed according toi the dictates of profit but is integral to the network of community life - in which wisdom about daily life is not hoarded by experts or doled out as a commodity but is drawn from the experience of all people and freely shared among them.
The womanly values of community and caring must rise to the center as the only human principles.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For Her Own Good.