Jim McGowan's Reviews > Terminal Freeze

Terminal Freeze by Lincoln Child

Oct 16, 09

Read in October, 2009

Once again Lincoln Child has managed to make a story that sounds far fetched and a little corny into an engaging thriller: Stranded at a remote Alaskan outpost, a group of scientists, soldiers and documentary makers are hounded by a big, evil beastie.

The setup is similar to Child's previous novel, Deep Storm in that the characters is stuck in their hostile situation, unable to escape to civilization for what seem like contrived reasons. However once the setting is established, this contrivance is easily forgotten, as the book has a pretty strong plot that moves along at a good pace, and throws up enough little mysteries and pitfalls for the characters to keep the reader engaged.

The book has a fairly large cast of characters, most of which are well fleshed out and developed, but there are a couple that feel a little flat.

I'd put this book on a par with Deep Storm: a good read, but not the best from this author. His first two novels, Utopia and Death Match still stand out to me as his best to date, and are among my favourites of the genre.

One last thing: Terminal Freeze has ice road truckers, and ice road truckers are always cool!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Terminal Freeze.