Matt's Reviews > A Year Without Made in China: One Family's True Life Adventure in the Global Economy

A Year Without Made in China by Sara Bongiorni

Oct 27, 09

Read in October, 2009

This kind of book/project really speaks to my sensibilities. I tend to take things too far.

In Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance, Robert Pirsig talks about plastic and how many 'hippy' types, maybe what we today would call hipsters, find plastic 'square.' I kind of find Chinese merch, on the whole, 'square.' The quality is often shoddy.

That said, some of the best, highest quality audio electronics in the world are Shanling and are made in China.

I could see myself doing this experiment myself, but she (Laura Bongiorni) cheats over and over again. She makes it seem so impossible, but I don't think it would be, but life is better without having to look at every label.

Yes I lament the fact that all the factory jobs have either left this country (USA) or have become low-paying, low-income jobs because of China. But what good is it to be nostalgic and lose whatever advantage that cheap manufacturing has given? Why throw out the one good thing it has brought us in the USA?

That said, after reading this book, I will look for US-produced products when possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Year Without Made in China.