Tiffany's Reviews > The Winter Vault

Jul 28, 10

bookshelves: 2010, canadian-fiction, way-overrated
Read from July 20 to 28, 2010

3.5

It's just one of those things, you know. The writing is beautiful, so many poignant turns of phrase I couldn't possibly list them all. The love story was also beautiful, the longing between Jean and Avery so palpable I almost couldn't bear it when they separated. Loss, love, retribution, tragedy, beauty within tragedy ... this novel has it all.

And I can't figure out why I didn't enjoy it more.

Maybe it was just too much. As isolated sentences, the book is unique in its truth. But throw all those great sentences together and it seemed so ... kitschy? overblown? totally emo to the point where you can't help just rolling your eyes already? I'm not sure what it is, and it's perplexing. I haven't felt this disturbed by literary ambivalence since Choke by Chuck Palahniuk.

Whatever, not going to analyze further. Maybe it was the mood I was in. Reviews can be as arbitrary as that.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter Vault.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexis (new)

Alexis For what it's worth, my parents didn't like this one either, and they LOVED Fugitive Pieces. I have not read it, as I don't do particularly well with non-linear narratives.

Tiffany My sister loved Fugitive Pieces too! It's why I wanted to read The Winter Vault, to read her latest. Hopefully it lives up to recommendations.