Andrea's Reviews > Prospect Park West

bookshelves: audiobook, chick-lit
Read in October, 2009

One part smut
One part celebrity worship
Four parts whiny mothers who resent their children
Top with a hefty dose of Brooklyn name-dropping and five too many mentions of Gawker - stir swiftly and chug. Do not linger over or savor.

In addition to all of that, there were several dropped storylines, which makes me think this book was in a rush to publish - and makes me wonder, WHY? With some character editing and story tightening, this book could have gained at least another star.

The racial paranoia felt forced, the lesbian action felt psychotic, and the beleaguered descriptions of the effects of prescription medications felt too intimate. Psycho mom Karen was my favorite, character, though. She was pretty crafty.

The smutty parts, seemingly written by a horny 16-year-old who just learned the F word, were the most entertaining ones.

**UPDATE** 1/26/10 OMG, suddenly it all makes sense. Go to UrbanBaby.com and spend some time reading the conversations. This book is *exactly* a fictionalized novel pulled from UrbanBaby-type banter. I personally think the site is horrific yet intriguing in a trashy way, which is why I felt the same way about this book, but if you're a fan of UB, you will probably dig this book quite a lot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prospect Park West.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Renee I'm at work, so I'm not going to go to that site, but is that why she kept talking about "sucking him"??? WHO TALKS LIKE THAT????