The Flooze's Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Oct 22, 2009

bookshelves: mystery, romance_or_chicklit, urban-fantasy-paranormal, favorites, vanquished_2009, owned, steampunk
Recommended to The Flooze by: The Holy Terror
Recommended for: Everyone!
Read in October, 2009 , read count: 1

Recipe for success:
- Liberal amount of Austen & Wodehouse
- Generous helping of the supernatural
- Sprinkling of steampunk
- Heavy dose of humor
- Dollop of romance

Icing:
- One sorely abused treacle tart
- One hedgehog, slightly squashed

What a success Soulless is. No First Book Syndrome here.

Gail Carriger shows that she is a woman with ideas in this alternate history paranormal tale. Not only does she have ideas, but Carriger knows how to execute them. Soulless is a refreshing and wildly amusing new take on the supernatural--and on the strong, capable heroine. The characters are memorable, the writing is tight, and the banter is delightfully witty.

Her main character, Alexia Tarabotti, is a sharp and intelligent spinster whose lively conversations and astute observations belie her status of "soulless." She's a wonderful and determined character. Miss Tarabotti is very passionate about her beliefs, and more than willing to whack would-be attackers about the head with her parasol.

Alexia lives in a Victorian England where vampires and werewolves are accepted by society. She's acquainted with several members of the supernatural set--most notably the outrageous vampire Lord Akeldama (he often speaks in italics, my petal), and the gruff and brawny Alpha werewolf, Lord Maccon (a delicious Highland brute).

Carriger's story takes Alexia through high-society functions, human and supernatural courting rituals, familial unrest, gruesome attacks, and several instances of appalling attire. The result is enthralling, brisk, and sure to keep you smiling throughout. I wish book 2 were here already!
43 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.

Quotes The Flooze Liked

Gail Carriger
“I may be a werewolf and Scottish, but despite what you may have read about both, we are not cads!”

Gail Carriger
“My dearest girl,' said the vampire finally, examining Lord Maccon with an exhausted but appreciative eye, 'such a banquet. Never been one to favor werewolves myself, but he is very well equipped, now, is he not?'

Miss Tarabotti gave him an arch look. 'My goodies,' she warned.

Humans,' chuckled the vampire, 'so possessive.”

Gail Carriger
“Alexia figured, delightedly, that this meant he did, in fact, tend to traipse around his private apartments in the altogether. Marriage was becoming more and more of an attractive prospect.”

Gail Carriger
“The ill-informed masses included her own family among their ranks, a family that specialized in being both inconvenient and asinine.”

Gail Carriger
“Alexia suspected Lord Maccon's handling was a tad more than was strictly called for under the circumstances, but she secretly enjoyed the sensation. After all, how often did a spinster of her shelf life get manhandled by an earl of Lord Maccon's peerage? She had better take advantage of the situation.”
tags: humor

Gail Carriger
“He was so very large and so very gruff that he rather terrified her, but he always behaved correctly in public, and there was a lot to be said for a man who sported such well-tailored jackets---even if he did change into a ferocious beast once a month.”

Gail Carriger
“In this particular instance, he stroked her hand fondly. There was no attraction in the movement. "Sweetling," he had once said, "you are at no more risk with me in that regard than you are in danger of me unexpectedly biting you--both being equal impossibilities. In the one case, I do not possess the necessary equipment upon contact, in the other case you do not.”

Gail Carriger
“A vampire, like a lady, never reveals his true age.”

Gail Carriger
“He is clearly bookish. I did not follow a single word of their conversation at dinner last night, not one jot of it. He must be bookish.”

Gail Carriger
“Miss Tarabotti was not one of life's milk-water misses--in fact, quite the opposite. Many a gentleman had likened his first meeting with her to downing a very strong cognac when one was expecting to imbibe fruit juice--that is to say, startling and apt to leave one with a distinct burning sensation.”

Gail Carriger
“Stop playing verbal games with me, madam, or I shall go out into that ballroom, find your mother, and bring her here”

10/18/2009 page 4
1.1% "Already smiling. Manners!" 5 comments
10/20/2009 page 163
44.66% "Had he gotten even larger down there? What was the maximum possible expansion ratio?" 8 comments
10/21/2009 page 169
46.3% "Well, proud Mary's fat arse!"
10/21/2009 page 326
89.32% "How HILARIOUS is Biffy?! He's a keeper."

The Holy Terror This book is so refreshingly different and fun! And I love Alexia, she's a great heroine.

The Flooze You're to blame for me adding it! Looks good. The description alone amused me.

The Holy Terror Ha, serves you right! I'm about halfway through now and it's fantastic. It's got some nice romantic tension building up that I'm quite enjoying.

The Flooze Serves me right?! Why, I oughtta...

The Flooze So, I'd hoped to finally get a good chunk of this read on the train from DC to NY...only to be foiled by everyone around me screaming into cell phones.

I thought I'd lose my mind. There was very nearly an act of the homicidal persuasion.

BUT, I did get up to the bit where Lord Maccon saves her from the shadowed man with the wet handkerchief ::snicker::, and the delicious Public Display after.

The Earl can bite me anytime, baby. Growl.

On a less tawdry note, I love the description of her friendship with Ivy. I particularly liked Alexia's admonishment that Ivy shouldn't bother to faint, because there was no one of interest around to catch her.

I'm going back to it once I get out of this wretched taxi. Why must they all pound their brakes? Distressing!

The Holy Terror Awesome review! You summed things up way better than I ever could have. I'm so glad you liked it as much as I did, it really was a special book and it's probably my favorite of the year.

The Flooze When I get home, I am so adding quotes. There were so many lines that I loved from this one.

Thanks again for mentioning it!

I wrote an e-mail to her praising her to high heaven. Some authors you just feel compelled to give your little kudos to, ya know?

message 8: by John (new) - added it

John Sounds like a terrifically imagined and executed book. Well done review. I think if you were anymore enthusiastic, you would burst into flame.

The Flooze Spontaneous combustion is terribly exciting. Rather final, but exciting nonetheless.

message 10: by John (new) - added it

John I enjoy just watching you :Twinkle:

The Flooze Enjoy watching me combust?! Geez, wouldn't even grace me with a thimbleful of water.

Some saviour you'd be. Decidedly ungentlemanly!

Btw, Djarum Special cigars suck. To me, anyway. You may like them. I'll bestow a pack upon you when you return from outer Mongolia, Copenhagen, whatevers.

message 12: by John (new) - added it

John Oh, sorry, I don't carry around any thimbles. You know I would gladly snuff out the flames with mine own body, but alas the first flight out of Outer Mongolia is early tomorrow.
I could, however, impart this advice: "Stop, drop and roll!" This is not referring to your cigarette dilemma either.

The Flooze Crackpot. Get home safe!

Wicked Incognito Now Great review. Now, I totally can't wait to read this. It sounds like a triple threat...Austen-like social commentary, paranormal excitement, romance, and comedy...so I guess the quadrupal threat.

Actually kind of sounds like a weird combination. I can't wait to see how she pulls it off.

The Flooze Thanks, April!

The book is a lot of fun. It felt especially fresh compared to the heaps of UF books I've read. Book two was good, too. Warning: If you get into this series, do not read the blurb for book three, Blameless, until after you've read the first two. The first line of the blurb contains a major spoiler!