Fran's Reviews > Kitchen Table Wisdom: Stories That Heal

Kitchen Table Wisdom by Rachel Naomi Remen

U 50x66
Oct 11, 2009

Read in September, 2002

Remen's books are some of my all-time favorites. She recounts her own struggle with a chronic, life-threatening disease and becoming a physician for the terminally ill at a time when females had just begun entering the medical profession and were not taken very seriously by their male counterparts. Remen's transition from a nurturer to a fiercely competitive, unfeeling clinician back to a nurturer again is woven throughout the stories and is a reminder to us all to experience life to its fullest; indeed, it was many of her terminally ill patients who taught Remen these lessons. There's healing for everyone in these pages, no matter what the devastating experience ... I read it just after my father died suddenly and was amazed by the comfort I found in this book. We must sometimes unlearn what we think we know, if we are to learn how to live better. Sometimes it's a matter of just seeing through someone else's eyes.
-Profound wisdom, indeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitchen Table Wisdom.