Kei's Reviews > The Sugar Queen

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

Apr 24, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Kei by: No One
Recommended for: Anyone who loves sweet tales with hints of romance and magic.
Read in October, 2009, read count: 1

I love this story! It's a very strong character-driven tale with all of the ingredients I personally enjoy in a book, a little magic, a little fantasy, romance, conflict, and dream fulfillment. The author chose a very simplistic style of writing and spent very little page space describing the weather, the people's description, and atmosphere which doesn't bother me one bit, since she mastered the storytelling element. She DID describe the main characters enough for you to get a good picture of each one, but she was not redundant about it and I REALLY appreciate that.

I'd rather read a book written simply that engages me, than read a beautifully written poem with poor story and character development.

The main character, Josey, made herself a warm spot in my heart the same way Della Lee got all cozy inside Josey's closet. But Josey, of course didn't enter my heart in a commanding way. I didn't feel sorry for her because she felt like she was doing something good; and people shouldn't feel bad about doing good things. I just wanted more for her and this desire pulled me into the story. I cared about her and that's important for me as a reader, to care about the main character in some way. The events that unfolded were so natural and made so much sense while still possessing a unique quality. One example of this is the unexpected connection between all of the characters.

I am so happy I found this one at the library in hard cover. I think Sarah Addison Allen might be my new favorite author. I'll be picking up Garden Spells next. This excites me greatly as I have a high affinity for sweets (which drew me to The Sugar Queen) and I'm obsessed with gardening, which is drawing me to Garden Spells. I hope it's just as enchanting as TSQ.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sugar Queen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dottie I hope you liked 'Garden Spells' too- I think it was my favorite by SAA.

message 2: by Kei (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kei I enjoyed Garden Spells, but not as much as Sugar Queen and Girl Who Chase The Moon. :)

Dottie wrote: "I hope you liked 'Garden Spells' too- I think it was my favorite by SAA."

message 3: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica Blackman Great review! Thanks

message 4: by Kei (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kei You're welcome! Glad you liked it.