El's Reviews > So Long, See You Tomorrow

So Long, See You Tomorrow by William Maxwell

Oct 13, 09

bookshelves: 20th-centurylit-late
Read in October, 2009

William Maxwell is one of those authors who I've thought for a long time I'm familiar with, but then realize upon picking up a book by him that I've never read him before. And then there's the painful discovery that I've clearly been missing out all this time.

This short novel is told by an elderly man reflecting upon his adolescence. The story begins with a farmer being killed, and from there branches out into the narrator's life and friendship with the farmer's son, a friendship that is altered after the murder. According to the synopsis on the book cover Maxwell found an article about the murder in the newspaper and wanted to write a story about it. This, of course, is it. It's a small-town murder mystery, a coming-of-age story, and a beautifully written piece of prose all tied up into one tight little package. Again, it's a short novel but concise, with no loose threads or distracting pieces of information.

This looks like it was his last full novel, though he continued writing articles and short stories up until his death in 2000. If his other novels are as good as this one I'll be pretty darn excited for having found a new (to me) author to read. I might even delve into his short stories, which can make or break any deal with me. But I'll give this Maxwell dude the benefit of the doubt.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Long, See You Tomorrow.

10/11/2009 page 33