Leslie's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Feb 05, 10

Read from January 31 to February 05, 2010

It has taken a ten fiction/paranormal(?) book to turn me into a mushy girl. One who wants a boyfriend that writes her poetry and songs, saves her from wolf attacks.... Shiver is such an amazingly written book. The story of a girl's obsession with a wolf, who saved her from an attack, from his pack-mates when she was a child. She becomes obsessed with him over the years, waiting so see him every winter. Wishing he was real, only to find out that when the weather get's warmer he is. A real boy , no longer a wolf.
The book is full of obstacles, but never gets angsty like most teen novels do. You like the characters instantly , you want to keep reading. For me there was no eye rolling or thinking "ugh stereotypical helpless girl."
The relationship between the girl (Grace) and the wolf/boy (Sam) is endearing. I'm so not the girly girl romantic type, but the way they are together is so cute. The way they instantly know each other when she realizes he's human and he realizes she remembers him. It's sweet and makes you want to grin and blush and find yourself your own personal boy/wolf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

Quotes Leslie Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“You're beautiful and sad," I said finally, not looking at him when I did. "Just like your eyes. You're like a song that I heard when I was a little kid but forgot I knew until I heard it again." For a long moment there was only the whirring sound of the tires on the road, and then Sam said softly, "Thank you.”
Maggie Stiefvater, Shiver

Maggie Stiefvater
“So, Grace, how's school?" I asked myself.
Dad nodded, eyes on the baby koala now struggling in the guest's arms.
"Oh, it's fine," I continued, and Dad made a mumbling noise of agreement. I added, "Nothing special, aside from the load of pandas they brought in, and the teachers abandoning us to cannibalistic savages-" I paused to see if I'd caught his attention yet, then pressed on. "The whole building caught fire, then I failed drama, and then sex, sex, sex."
Dad's eyes abruptly focused, and he turned to me and frowned. "What did you say they were teaching you in school?”
Maggie Stiefvater, Shiver