Isaac's Reviews > Tropic of Cancer

Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller

21925
Apr 14, 13

bookshelves: favorites, novelized-autobiography

This is my all-time favorite book. It's the book of youth, for youth especially. I would be stupid to try to explain its avant-garde qualities in the expatriate Modernist lit-scape. I haven't the education. Tropic is gay, crude, rhapsodic, phantasmagoric. It's a beautiful tale of joy, starvation, and limitless appetite. It'll be another ten years before I can read Tropic as a "grown-up" and re-appraise its virtues.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tropic of Cancer.

Quotes Isaac Liked

Henry Miller
“You must be life for me to the very end," so he writes. "That is the only way in which to sustain my idea of you. Because you have gotten, as you see, tied up with something so vital to me, I do not think I shall ever shake you off. Nor do I wish to. I want you to live more vitally every day, as I am dead. That is why, when I speak of you to others, I am just a bit ashamed. It's hard to talk of one's self so intimately”
Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

Henry Miller
“When I look down into this fucked-out cunt of a whore I feel the whole world beneath me, a world tottering and crumbling, a world used up and polished like a leper's skull. If there were a man who dared to say all that he thought of this world there would not be left him a square foot of ground to stand on. When a man appears the world bears down on him and breaks his back. There are always too many rotten pillars left standing, too much festering humanity for man to bloom. The superstructure is a lie and the foundation is a huge quaking fear. If at intervals of centuries there does appear a man with a desperate, hungry look in his eye, a man that would turn the world upside down in order to create a new race, the love that he brings to the world is turned to bile and he becomes a scourge. If now and then we encounter pages that explode, pages that wound and sear, that wring groans and tears and curses, know that they come from a man with his back up, a man whose only defenses left are his words and his words are always stronger than the lying, crushing weight of the world, stronger than all the racks and wheels which the cowardly invent to crush out the miracle of personality. If any man ever dared to translate all that is in his heart, to put down what is really his experience, what is truly his truth, I think then the world would go to smash, that it would be blown to smithereens and no god, no accident, no will could ever again assemble the pieces, the atoms, the indestructible elements that have gone to make up the world.”
Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer