Mary Ann's Reviews > Horrid Henry and the Scary Sitter: 4 Laugh-Out-Loud Stories!

Horrid Henry and the Scary Sitter by Francesca Simon

Oct 10, 2009

bookshelves: 2nd, 3rd, 1st, boys, halloween, humor
Read in October, 2009

Horrid Henry is up to his tricks again, trying to boss his little brother around, terrify babysitters and plan sneak attacks on neighborhood girls. My daughters and I had great fun reading this book aloud. In the first chapter, Horrid Henry is excited to go out on Halloween. "Every year, Horrid Henry could not believe it: an entire day devoted to stuffing your face with candy and playing horrid tricks." He has the perfect scary costume, but then he realizes he's expected to take his little brother, Perfect Peter, with him and this year Perfect Peter has a cute polka-dot bunny costume. It's more than Horrid Henry can bear. We laughed so much as we watched Henry trick Peter into a scary haircut, then get punished.

Horrid Henry is a great series for kids who want action, laughs and quick stories. Each book has four short chapters, and is written at about a 2nd or 3rd grade level. Kids will like how they see some of themselves in the stories, but can laugh at how Horrid Henry takes everything one step too far. Adults will laugh and cringe at the stories, for Henry is truly a horrid little child. But he has a little of all of us in him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horrid Henry and the Scary Sitter.