Mel Boulrice's Reviews > What the Dog Saw and Other Adventures

Nov 12, 09

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in October, 2009

Malcolm Gladwell has been a staff writer for The New Yorker since 1996 and What the Dog Saw is a collection of 19 articles that he considers his favorites. The book is broken down into 3 sections:

Obessives, Pioneers & Other Varieties of Minor Genius
Theories, Predictions & Diagnoses
Personality, Character & Intelligence (overall I found this was my favorite)

The articles I enjoyed the most were:

The Ketchup Conundrum - NOW I know why kids think ketchup goes with everything!

Cesar Millan & the Movements of Mastery - I am in awe at The Dog Whisperer, it was fun to read about his background & why what he does works!

The Picture Problem - This is a perfect example of what I love about Galdwell's writing: his ability to tie together things that aren't normally consider to be related at all. Here he uses mammography, air force raids & the Iraq war. Do we depend on pictures too much? The problem is that pictures require interpretation.

I have loved Malcolm Gladwell's previous works: Tipping Point, Blink & more recently Outliers. That being said, I have not read any of his The New Yorker pieces before. Sadly, I didn't get the same WOW factor after reading this book and in the end, there were a few that I just skimmed.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What the Dog Saw and Other Adventures.

10/10/2009 page 50