Crystal's Reviews > Fire

Oct 10, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: 2009
Read in October, 2009

** spoiler alert ** When I heard that Kristin Cashore had begun writing a prequel to Graceling I knew I would be the first in line to buy it. Even though I knew Katsa and Po would not male an apperance in Fire I was still excited to revisit the extraordinary world that Cashore had created. I expected the book to center around King Leck and how he came to be the man he was in Graceling. I had so many questions centering around his character and I just knew they would be answered. Well, to put in mildly my precious Graceling world was crushed and demolished. The prologue of Fire was great, but after that the book goes downhill very fast. The characters never connected to me or each other for that matter. I would have much rather read about Cansrel and his disturbing life. Instead I had to sit through 461 pages of "she is so beautiful" and "men and women both could not control themselves around her". I wish authors would stop repeating these lines. Once I read that a character is beautiful I understand I don't need it shoved into my brain.
The one person I couldn't wait to read about barely makes it into the book. Leck is there in the prologue and about halfway through but you get no more insight into him. It felt like Cashore put him in the book to pacifiy readers and to kill Archer. The way she killed Archer still bugs me. I felt like he should have had to pay for his actions which included getting to women, well one was a girl since she was only 15, pregnant within days of each other. Cashore killed him in a cruel way and all it accomplished was letting Fire start her relationship with Brigan without the complication of Archer. It was too convienent in my opinion. In the end this book felt like a bad soap opera and I don't know if I will continue on with her next book.

Reading challenge- 15 pts read a book with an alternate universe

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire.

Tatiana Crystal, how is it so far?

Crystal I have only read the prologue but it has started out pretty creepy. Leck as a child reminds me of the actor who played in the omen..VERY creepy.

Tatiana Sounds interesting:)

Heather I've heard very good things about this one. People are saying its better than Graceling...

Tatiana Good. I am still waiting for my library to get it, it's on order. I might re-read Graceling while I am waiting...

Heather I don't know if I can like reading about Leck more than Po, I but I wouldn't mind a book with a creepy tone.

Heather Oh and Cameron Bright, the boy in the omen, is all grown up, a bit of a cutie and will be playing Alex in NM.

Tatiana I don't think the entire book will be about Leck. I am sure there will be quite a bit of romance going on.

Heather REally, between who?

Tatiana This is from book description: "Seventeen-year-old Fire is the last remaining human-shaped monster in the Dells. Gorgeously monstrous in body and mind but with a human appreciation of right and wrong, she is hated and mistrusted by just about everyone, and this book is her story."

So I am assuming between Fire and some guy. I don't want to dig any further to make sure I don't come across any spoilers

Heather I don't think it is a love story cause the guy is Leck.

Tatiana Leck is a small boy in this book. He is definitely not a love interest.

Heather How can someone be gorgeously monstrous? Doesn't being a monster negate beauty or does she mean that despite being a monster, she has an otherworldly, scary beauty?

Tatiana I guess we'll have to read to find out:)

Crystal This story is very different so far. The setting is really interesting to me, but I can't seem to grasp all the monster stuff yet. I don't want to give spoilers so I will wait until y'all have read it to make any comments =)

Crystal Heather wrote: "Oh and Cameron Bright, the boy in the omen, is all grown up, a bit of a cutie and will be playing Alex in NM."

I didn't know that..,

Tatiana 2 stars?:(

Heather Oh no! Crystal are you going to write a review? What was bad about Fire?

Crystal I felt like it was "utter crap" =( the prologue was the best part and by the end I was so disgusted and heartbroken =(

Heather Hmmm. Were the characters boring, or did you just not like what happened to them? If you have h8 in your heart, let it out, you will feel much better. My Shiver review was like therapy, lol

Tatiana OMG! Heartbroken? No HEA? Not sure if I am that eager to read it now...

Crystal The characters were very boring! The ones I found myself wanting to read about only showed up a handful of times =( I gave my review and I do feel better but I still can't believe that the same author wrote both books! Cashore turned to the dark side because her favorite line was "she is beauttiful and every man and woman wants her". BLECH!

Crystal I was heartbroken because the book was horrible. I don't want to give any spoliers regarding a HEA if you are going to read it.

Tatiana I am still going to give it a try. Sorry you were so disappointed. You need to read a Georgia book to lift your spirits up.

Heather Interesting. I'm really glad I didn't buy it now.

Crystal Tatiana wrote: "I am still going to give it a try. Sorry you were so disappointed. You need to read a Georgia book to lift your spirits up. "

I started it last night =) I'm not that far but I think it is just what I need.

Crystal I would definitely borrow this one from the library. I wish I could sell mine back =(

Heather Oh Georgia will have you laughing in no time. She is full of hilariosity :)

Cyndi I just finished this book and loved it way more than Graceling. In Graceling the lead characters go their separate ways at the end. I hated that. I loved all the detail about the characters in this book and the romance between Brigan and Fire.

Cyndi I never even read the prolog.

Deborah Olsen I completely agreed w this review. A disappointment

Crystal Yep IMO Cashore should have skipped this one and just went straight to Bitterblue.

Shaelah She reminded me of Twilight, with the repeating of the same phrase and/or point.

Jessie R Sorry, I know that I am waaaay late in this convo.
But I just felt like I should mention that the kid in the Omen is Seamus Davey- Fitzpatrick.
The kid in the Butterfly Effect is Cameron Bright.
Again, sorry for butting in;)