Angela's Reviews > G. K. Chesterton, a Criticism

Jul 23, 10

bookshelves: anglophile, nonfiction-biography
Recommended for: GK Chesterton fans
Read in July, 2010, read count: 1

I started reading this book not knowing who the author was! The book I have is old, old, and doesn't list an author at all; for a while I wondered if it was an autobiography, written in the third person. This is the next best thing; Cecil is a good writer, and he obviously knew his subject well enough to make both disparaging and positive observations with authority. It made me want to read more of GK; particularly The Napoleon of Notting Hill. My favorite part of the book was actually the very end: Cecil goes into all sorts of speculations about which of GK's works will last, whether he'll be known to future generations, and what sorts of literature he should tackle next. Great fun! Definitely recommended to GK fans.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read G. K. Chesterton, a Criticism.

10/10/2009 page 18
10.0% ""I was engaged about that time in discovering, to my own extreme and lasting astonishment, that I was not an atheist" - GKC"
07/19/2010 page 165
92.0% "enjoying the criticism and inside insight on one of my favorite peoples!"