Elizabeth's Reviews > The Winter King

Oct 29, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction, fantasy-sci-fi
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Ryan
Read in October, 2009

This is one of Ryan's favorite books and he finally convinced me to read it. I attempted twice to read this book before getting far enough to start caring about the characters enough to stick with it. Cornwell did keep the book moving and there were a lot of loose ends left hanging so I may pick up the rest of the series at a later date.

Although I liked it better than I thought I would, I cannot say it is among my favorites. If half stars were possible, I would probably give it a 3.5. There is way too much blood and gore for my taste and not enough character insight and development. It was a lot easier to find characters to dislike than like and there were few characters I cared enough about to continue on with the trilogy. The spin on the Arthur legend is interesting but fantasy has never been my favorite genre. For those of you who love fantasy, like Ryan, I can see why this book is a favorite.

As a disclaimer, I also did not like the Lord of the Rings movies or the Wheel of Time books very much. I find them both tolerable and entertaining to some degree, but not memorable or intriguing. For those of you who loved them, this would be right up you your alley.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter King.