Karina's Reviews > City of Bones

Oct 10, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read in November, 2010

** spoiler alert ** If I'm not completely mistaken, this author may be the person whose fanfics I used to read. The name was spelled differently (it's one letter off), and the last I've heard of that fanfic author is that she was going to actually publish original stuff. The fanfics were good, so I'd like to read this series.

The story pulled me in very quickly, and I want to find out what happens next. However, I'm finding the cluelessness of the protagonist very annoying. It's obvious that Luke is protecting her, but she thinks he's set against her and doesn't care about her mom. It's obvious that Simon likes her and she likes him, but she doesn't see it. I kinda hate it when I as a reader know more than the characters based on the exact information they have...

On the other hand, some of the twists did surprise me, and they seemed to come out of nowhere.

This was an okay read, but doesn't inspire me to read the next in the series, despite a cliffhanger at the end. I guess it's about on par with Twilight (I've seen comparisons in other reviews, plus there's a quote from author of Twilight prominently on the cover page), which I also felt was entertaining, but I haven't picked up the next in series and don't plan to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.