Sarai's Reviews > The Hunger Games

Oct 10, 09

bookshelves: general-fiction, young-adult-fiction, sci-fi
Read in October, 2009

From School Library Journal
Grade 7+ - In a not-too-distant future, the United States of America has collapsed, weakened by drought, fire, famine, and war, to be replaced by Panem, a country divided into the Capitol and 12 districts. Each year, two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal intimidation of the subjugated districts, the televised games are broadcasted throughout Panem as the 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors, literally, with all citizens required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss's young sister, Prim, is selected as the mining district's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart, Peeta, the son of the town baker who seems to have all the fighting skills of a lump of bread dough, will be pitted against bigger, stronger representatives who have trained for this their whole lives. Collins's characters are completely realistic and sympathetic as they form alliances and friendships in the face of overwhelming odds; the plot is tense, dramatic, and engrossing. This book will definitely resonate with the generation raised on reality shows like Survivor and American Gladiator. Book one of a planned trilogy.

I listened to this on CD, and it was the kind of book where I had to know what was going to happen, so I ended up taking the CD out of the car and listening to it at home, then listening to it in my car at lunch and bringing it back in the house after work to finish it.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed in the ending, because I wanted Kat to know what was happening in her own mind; however, I am very excited to know there are two more coming, because I want to know what happens!!!!! :) The ending was one of those that leaves you guessing, which I am usually okay with, but in this case I wanted more! And I can't really go into more detail without giving the ending away, and you should really read the book yourself because it's extremely engrossing.

I was immediately reminded of the short story The Lottery, by Shirley Jackson, which I read in elementary school and for some reason stuck with me, probably because the ending was not what you were expecting it to be and that was the first time I'd encountered a story like that. In The Lottery, the whole story centers around people gathering for a lottery, and excitement in the air, and you believe they are hoping to win but actually they are hoping not to have their names chosen because winning that lottery means being stoned to death. So the Hunger Games lottery reminded me of that, and of course all the reality tv shows on nowadays were also brought to mind.

The only thing I was disappointed in was that Kat was never sure if Peeta's feelings were genuine, and coming from a romance novel background, of course I felt they were. Though I did wonder what would happen - would they turn out to be true in the end? But again, that gets into plot points that I do not want to give away. :)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

Melissa I really enjoyed this book. I thought Peeta was sincere. I was absorbed immediately and couldn't put it down.

You have to read the next book. You'll hate the ending because you'll want to know what's going to happen. It's a true cliffhanger.