Jason Huffman-black's Reviews > The Historian

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Dec 30, 09

bookshelves: ebook, vampires

I really need to give a reason that this book received such a low rating from me.

First, I want to say that the majority of the book was amazing. It was mysterious, and the descriptions were vivid. the author pulled me totally into this story. This book is over 700 pages and I rushed through it to find out what the great mystery was...only to be disappointed by a silly and rushed ending. I felt so robbed that I was tempted to throw this massive book but knew it would do a great deal of damage.

I feel like the author just grew weary of her story, and finding no convenient way to end the book, she just kinda stopped. :) The mysterious reason for the entire story, the tension building clue that was sought after in Turkey and Romania (described in such great detail that I feel that I have been there) was so ridiculous to be absurd. My mouth fell open when the truth was revealed for the evil, dastardly plan of an ages old vampire was so innocuous as to be a blasphemy against the dracula myth.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Historian.

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Moderatrix Lori Well, at least you finished it. I gave up after about 100 pages.

message 6: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy This is taking up a lot of space on my shelf, but I'm not in a real hurry to read it now.

message 5: by Ralph (new)

Ralph I'm not in a hurry to read it either. =\ Too many good books to waste time reading a bad one.

Judah I was psyched about this book when it came out, and even when I first started reading it...made it about 300 pages in and set it aside.

Happy holidaze, by the way!

message 3: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy I wish everyone a happy holiday and lots of good books to read!

Nichole (Dirrty H) Oh, it's not a bad one, Ralph & Nancy, I loved this book! Although I completely agree with you, Jason, about the ending. That's why I rated it 4 instead of 5. It just crumbled under the weight of the rest of the story.
But to all who didn't finish it - it took me at least 200 pages to get interested but as soon as I did, I absolutely couldn't put it down.

message 1: by Rick (new) - rated it 1 star