Mac's Reviews > Looking for Calvin and Hobbes: The Unconventional Story of Bill Watterson and His Revolutionary Comic Strip

Looking for Calvin and Hobbes by Nevin Martell

Oct 10, 09

I was slightly disappointed after reading this book. (Okay, maybe more than slightly.) I wanted more commentary from other artists, and less quotes from Watterson's essays in his previously published books. I mean, dang gina, Martell quotes Watterson more than he quoted anyone else...I've read what Watterson has to say already...I want more outside opinion.

The book totes itself as a journey to find and meet with Watterson...but in reality, it seems Martell just made lots of phone calls leading to short interviews, and made a single trip to Chagrin Falls, OH, where Watterson grew up.

That's not a journey. That's making phone calls, and going on a day trip.

(Yeah, I'm a little bitter. But only because I just didn't get anything "new" out of this book. Martell just kind of talkes about everything fans of Watterson already know about him, except for maybe his early cartooning days, which was fairly interesting.)

Also, I have a very hard time believing this book will be of any interest to someone who isn't already interested in the life of Watterson and the choices he;s made to lead a highly private life.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Calvin and Hobbes.