AnnaMay's Reviews > Animals Make Us Human: Creating the Best Life for Animals

Animals Make Us Human by Temple Grandin

Oct 10, 09

Read in October, 2009

Reading this book helped me get a better grasp on the different groups of animals and their behavior. I really really love our Luna Dog more now and can appreciate her sentiments in different settings much better now than before I read this book.

One thing I like about the book is how Grandin doesn't just jump on the bandwagon of 'we use terrible practices in our slaughterhouses in this country!' but instead points out specific problems, how they are problems for the animals, but then gives suggestions for reasonable solutions to the problems.

I was very intrigued by the history of how sow stalls, for example, came into existence and what forces went into play to make the sows have the life they do today.

I haven't ever been a cat person, but the chapter on cats gave me (almost) respect for the darn things.

I really like the chapter on horses and the one on cows. The one on hens I found interesting because we'd like to get a hen house as soon as it's feasible and I found the information not only very inspiring (to do away with my support of the poor practices in the chicken industry today), but very informative and helpful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animals Make Us Human.