Josiah's Reviews > The Seer of Shadows

The Seer of Shadows by Avi

1914201
Oct 11, 09

Read in October, 2009

"There is a limit to how much a seer wishes to see."

—The Seer of Shadows, P. 202

I thought that this was a good ghost story of the 1800s. Avi does a nice job of setting the scene for how it was back then, allowing the color and full flavor of the story to make itself clear in much the way that a developing photograph of that time period would slowly easy its way into focus.
Anyone who likes stories of haunted places or people, or enjoys being regaled with tales of vengeful haints who are brought back to lurk in the shadows of this world after passing on to the next, will in all likelihood find this book interesting. More than anything else, I think that Avi shows through The Seer of Shadows the value that a vivid historical setting can have on the telling of a good story.

"All I can think is that when you torment a person...the soul dies. When the soul dies, I suppose mercy dies, too."

—The Seer of Shadows, P. 177

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seer of Shadows.

Quotes Josiah Liked

Avi
“There is a limit to how much a seer wishes to see.”
Avi, The Seer of Shadows

Avi
“All I can think is that when you torment a person...the soul dies. When the soul dies, I suppose mercy dies, too.”
Avi, The Seer of Shadows