Krys's Reviews > Lost

Lost by Gregory Maguire

Oct 09, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: medium-length-book, third-person-narrative, english-setting, fiction, lgbtqia, read-in-2010, book-group-read, need-to-finish-did-not-finish, stand-alone
Read from October 27 to November 04, 2010 , read count: 1

That would be Lost by Gregory Maguire, not the TV show, which I still have never seen. Oi.

For the record, I am an ardent fan of Mr. Maguire. I've read Wicked a few times as well as several of his other books. I love his style, his gusto, his wit.

I did not, however, love Lost. It focused too long on self-centered plot points. It was disjointed, and spectacularly dull, and ridiculously circular. I have never spent so much time on a book where the main narrator did absolutely nothing but walked around, listening to knocks in the wall, and wondering what happened to her absent cousin. Boring. It's a waste of Maguire's skill, and I feel sorry that he polluted his oeuvre with it.

I could be more tactful about this.. However, this was the title I chose for a book group of which I am a part of, and I am terribly embarrassed to have chosen something so... * shudder *. It wasn't worth the time to read it, and I apologize to my lady friends for having chose it.

1 out of 5 stars. Blech. I have scant few books left to read of Maguire, so I know the rest of his cannon is bigger, and better than this. But, just blah.

- review courtesy of www.bibliopunkkreads.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost.

11/01/2010 page 55
11/04/2010 page 75
22.0% "slow going on this one. It's disorienting... and if it weren't for my reading it as a book group choice (which I bloody suggested) I might have passed it up."