Lance Greenfield's Reviews > Skallagrigg

Skallagrigg by William Horwood

Oct 09, 2009

bookshelves: my-top-books
Read in February, 2002 — I own a copy , read count: 2

Easily makes my top five

I have always been a prolific reader and sometimes have as many as five books on the go at any one time, picking up the one which most suits my mood.

This book is absolutely brilliant and so beautifully touches the emotions of the reader. It made me laugh and it made me cry. I cried often and long and deep.

It is clear that William Horwood has been close to cerebral palsy and his daughter, Rachel, does suffer from this condition.

The central figures are Arthur, a sufferer from the early part of the twentieth century, and Esther, a sufferer from the latter part of the same century. It explores the massive differences between the ways that they were perceived and the ways that they were treated because of those perceptions.

Esther embarks on a quest to find Skallagrigg, without knowing what it is, and you must read the book to find out if she succeeds and what it means.

The reader is drawn into the characters and I found myself living the roller-coaster emotional existence of both of them.

I am constantly recommending this book to friends and family. Many of them find it difficult to get into the story but I encourage them to persevere. Whilst I can understand their difficulty, I had no trouble whatsoever and was captured from the first paragraph.

If you are only ever going to read one more book in your life, it would have to be this one and no other. Trust me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skallagrigg.

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt Why is this book so bloody expensive??? I shall never buy it at the prices it is going for.. 30 dollars USED on amazon and I thought I found it on Alibris for 3.99.. Funny thing, you click on it and it becomes 62 bucks. Is this more readily available at your end of the world? I am heading to England next year and wondering if I should hold out till I can look for it there?

Lance Greenfield I really can't understand it. I have looked on amazon.co.uk, and it is expensive there too.
I'll have a look in the bookshops here and see if I can find it at a "usual" price.
If I do, I'll buy it and ship it to you

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt That would be great. I would send a book or two in exchange. I told Janet to send me back Woman Who Would Be Pharaoh so that I can pass it on to you. (evil laugh) LOL

Lance Greenfield Tara wrote: "That would be great. I would send a book or two in exchange. I told Janet to send me back Woman Who Would Be Pharaoh so that I can pass it on to you. (evil laugh) LOL"

And I really thought that you were my friend! :-)

I went to my local Waterstones this afternoon, and asked about Skallagrigg. It is out of print.

Then I went to the public library. They don't have a copy, but Hampshire County Libraries have two, so I can reserve one.

I have looked on the Suffolk County Libraries site, where Ipswich is, and they don't have a copy.

I once had two copies, but lent one to somebody who never returned it. I would lend my copy to you, but I'd want it back!

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt Oh my! That book is too hard to come by. I won't be holding my breath.. If it is so darn good, why is it out of print?? That is what I don't understand.

Lance Greenfield Nor me. Maybe I'll write to the author, and to Penguin about it

message 7: by Tara (last edited Nov 16, 2009 12:44PM) (new)

Tara Chevrestt Do that! Perhaps the author would you a signed copy and you could send me your old one! LOL

Lance Greenfield Hi Tara.

I was looking for this book at a reasonable price in the UK so that I could send you a copy. Then I discovered that it is available, used, in the USA from just US$ 5.00. Much cheaper than in the UK.

Take a look at this link.

If you still have difficulty, let me know, and I'll continue my quest in the UK.

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt Really? I quit searching for it long ago so must've missed it. It was 5 dollars for a while but I had too much to read and then when I finally did go to buy it, it was 35 and up.

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt I did, thank you. To be honest with you (and please don't get mad at me!) I don't want it bad enough to purchase it. It one of those books I keep eyeing with doubt despite your excellent review. I just spent almost a thousand dollars on jeep parts and my tat work wasn't cheap either so book buying is totally on hold.

Lance Greenfield You needn't worry about me being mad at you! Don't be silly!

There are tonnes of books on your to-read shelf, so it might take you a few years to unbury this one, even if you owned it!

Anyway, you won't concentrate. You're a girl in love! With Mildred! (She's on my Goodreads photos now)

message 13: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt I will ask the library if they can find a copy. I promise. I actually go thru my to reads quite fast. I do read 4 to 5 books a week. A 250 to 300 pager only takes me two days.. one if the weather is bad and it's my day off. YA books only take a day. If I come across a copy for free, I will read it ASAP. I just don't want it bad enough to buy. LOL

You may be pleased to know that my next ILL request list for the library has Going Gently on it. Hopefully they can find a copy around here.

Lance Greenfield That is as unique a read as I can imagine. I am sure you will like it.

Well, as sure as I can be with you, Tara!

Don't worry. I won't be offended if you hate it!

Velvetink You are the only person I know who has read this! Awesome book

Lance Greenfield Wow! It is great to have you as a friend, just for the fact that you are completely with me on this one. It is absolutely brilliant, and SO moving! Especially when you know the background behind Horwood's motive for writing it. I really am so happy to meet you!

BTW, I thought that the film was a bit disappointing, for me anyway. I suppose that it served a purpose of getting the story across to people who didn't get around to reading the book, but it didn't give me the experience of every breath and emotional tug that I took whilst reading the book.

I hope that you have time to peruse some of my other reviews, and my fave quotes, and especially my somewhat pathetic attempts at writings. And then give me some feedback so that I can improve. Sometimes, I think that my first ever poem, Ted, was my best literary masterpiece! Anyway, have a look.

Oh. I am so happy to find another Skallagrigg fan!

message 17: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie OK, I will be brave and add it to my lists, but it is not even available on Kindle, let alone audio!

message 18: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Sounds insteresting Lance, thanks for sharing.

message 19: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane It is on my top 5 list too Lance - one of the most moving books I have ever read. Have you read The Stonor Eagles? It is amazing too :)

Maggie Oh I read this years ago - what a fantastic book, loved it.

Lance Greenfield Jane wrote: "It is on my top 5 list too Lance - one of the most moving books I have ever read. Have you read The Stonor Eagles? It is amazing too :)"

I haven't read The Stonor Eagles. It looks like a brilliant read. Thanks Jane!

Maggie I'vealso read Duncton Wood and his memois The Boy with No Shoes - both excellent

Lance Greenfield I've always meant to read Duncton Wood, but have never got around to it.

I read The Boy with No Shoes. See my review.

message 24: by Jackie (new) - added it

Jackie Your review has made me want to read this book too! I've got a few others to read but I'm going to keep a look out for a copy of it. I looked on eBay some were £70 lol

Lance Greenfield Jackie - I hope that you find a copy at a reasonable price. I used to have two copies, and lent one to somebody, never to get it back.

message 27: by Maggie (last edited Sep 09, 2013 05:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maggie Lance wrote: "Wow! It is great to have you as a friend, just for the fact that you are completely with me on this one. It is absolutely brilliant, and SO moving! Especially when you know the background behind Ho..."

Here's another Skallagrigg fan! I read it years ago - its such a sad and fantastic book. (OOps already commented above!)

message 28: by Jackie (new) - added it

Jackie Your missing copy could be one of those that are up for sale lol. Thank you for the link I will definitely get myself a copy.

Lance Greenfield Hey Jackie. That's a very good point. I'll get Hercule Poirot on the case right away!

message 30: by Jackie (new) - added it

Jackie Lol the new Hercule Poirot? I saw on the news that Agatha Christie's family are working with Sophie Hannah to come up with some new books. I've never read any Agatha Christie books but I've read Sophie Hannah's and liked those!