Lance Greenfield's Reviews > The Gods of War

Oct 09, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in July, 2007

The brilliant conclusion

Every schoolboy and girl knows what is going to happen at the end of a quadrilogy about Caesar's life. Nevertheless, the story continues with relationships building and fast-moving action from battle to battle, as the inevitable conclusion approaches.
Julius and his supporters confront Pompey and pursue him to Egypt. From that point onward, it is impossible to put this book down until you have read the final words. The twists and turns, and the intrigue that the powerful Cleopatra brings to the scene, just make this story totally captivating.

The only disappointing part for me is that the first unbelievable line of all four books is the way that Brutus is persuaded to join the assassination plot against his lifelong friend by their mutual lifelong enemy. You would expect that, with all that had gone before, Brutus would just have skewered the man who made such a treacherous suggestion, wiped the dirty blood off his sword, and left the traitor where he deserved to be. Although that would fly in the face of all that we were taught at school, it would have satisfied me, because I never did believe very much of what my history teacher told me.

I would conclude that a historical fiction has to be extremely well told to keep the reader interested through the passage of four books. I was much more than merely interested, I was swept along by the pace and the style and had to keep reading at all times, just to find out what happened next. Pick up The Gates of Rome and read the first chapter, and you won't rest until you've read the final chapter of The Gods of War.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gods of War.