Robin Lemke's Reviews > The Fire in Fiction: Passion, Purpose and Techniques to Make Your Novel Great

The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maass

F_50x66
Oct 09, 09

Read in October, 2009

Donald Maass has a lot of insight into what makes books work, he reads a lot of them - published and unpublished - and he's really good at organizing those insights in a helpful way.

When it comes right down to it, you just have to write well. If you try to keep *everything* in mind while writing, you'll go crazy. But, I find it really helpful to take one concept at a time, and think about it while I'm editing.

My favorite from this book is microtension - creating tension in one sentence, and relieving it two sentences later. It's a way to keep each page interesting, even if you're talking about setting, or backstory.

I loved the Writing the Breakout Novel workbook, too. I do think it's a lot more helpful to use for an already written book, rather than one you're planning, unless you're a super outliner, which I am not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fire in Fiction.