Annie's Reviews > The Problem of Pain

F 50x66
Oct 09, 2009

liked it
Read in October, 2009

I find that I'm not much of a philosophical kind of gal although that does not keep me from trying to understand those that philosophize. Lewis makes some interesting points however I have to admit, I found myself lost in his seemingly stream of consciousness writing. I suppose it is my own ignorance and lack of reading since I was not familiar with the majority of his intellectual references. I came away from this reading thinking, "boy, I need to read more".

Basically Lewis argues that pain is part of God's goodness and mercy to help us achieve heavenly happiness. Pain is a result of free will and the Fall. When we understand the purpose of pain and the way God understand pain, it will be less painful.

One thing Lewis did not address, or I may have just glossed over it, was the pain others feel not caused by their own fallen state or rather pain inflicted on the innocent, children and others who are not capable of sinning. I would have loved to have read his thoughts on how God feels about that kind of pain and those that inflict pain on the innocent. He addresses animal pain, a pain that the "innocent" feel but animals lack consciousness and "self". How do we deal with the pain of the conscious innocent beings? My own personal thoughts are that God must mourn with us in that he is bound by the same laws of free will as we are, agency being an absolute in the universe. This does not take away from his omnipotence or power however, teaches us that God is governed by laws too.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Problem of Pain.