Penny's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Jan 06, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, stalled, ya-fiction, disappointing, werewolves, should-never-have-been-published, reviewed-books, wish-i-could-unread, i-think-i-m-gonna-be-sick
Recommended for: Nobody. Not even my worst enemy.
read count: .25

Who is publishing these horribly written YA novels? Who? (every publisher, ever) And more importantly, why? (for tons of cash)

First off, I didn't finish this book. I couldn't finish this book. I couldn't get 1/4 of the way through, even though I have the audiobook. Actually not only is this book boring as hell but the audiobook was poorly cast (more on that later). This is another book I picked up because of the pretty cover. *kicking self, a lot*

I have to admit the premise sounded interesting--not long before this book crossed my path I'd finished reading Blood and Chocolate, which is, overall, somewhat enjoyable even if it is a little weird--so I just had to read it. But guess what? Not an interesting story. Not even kind of.

The coupling in this book? Bizarre. Boring--I mean, really boring.

Sam doesn't think like a guy. Not even a little. Sam thinks like a woman. A really boring older woman. No guy throws on a puffy coat and thinks "I look like a blimp in this thing." No heterosexual guy. No way. Not ever. I can't help but wonder if Sam ever gets around to asking Grace if his pants make his butt look fat. But I digress.

Grace is Boring. Not only that but she's also insipid, and irritating. Did I mention mind-numbingly boring? So just to review: Grace: She's Bella Swan's evil, but oh-so-very-boring twin.

And the character named Isabella (I think that's her name), that, like, pisses herself? WTF??? WHY? Seriously, WHY? It's because of the pissing scene that I stopped paying attention to the audio book. Sure, every once in a while I caught snippets of the story. But none of it was interesting. So eventually I turned it off and cursed Audible for having a no return policy--sure, it totally makes sense. But still.

Tangent: Look, I wasted one of my audible credits on this piece of trash. I can't resell it, or even trade it for something better. I'm pissed.

Speaking of the audio book: like I said earlier it was horribly cast. The female narrator sounds like a fourteen-year-old girl. And the male narrator sounds like my old elementary school gym coach. The one that sorta looked like a child molester--you know what I'm talking about, everyone had a coach like that. Everyone.

Needless to say, the audio book gave me heebies from the get go. I couldn't help but picture some ninth grade girl--because, like I said, she sounds quite young--flirting with her disgusting teacher (who has a mustache and wears tiny gym shorts). I'm still traumatized.

So yeah, I advise you don't read this book. And definitely don't buy the audio book. If you do, don't say I didn't warn you.

That is all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

Tatiana LOL:) Join the club.

message 2: by Annalisa (last edited Mar 24, 2010 04:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annalisa Haha :). I would hate this book if I listened to it in audio. I agree with what you said about Sam and Grace, but I still liked the melancholy writing. I can see how it would sound horribly cheesy in audio though.
I started reading Blood And Chocolate and halfway through the first chapter I thought I couldn't stomach another one of these stories and quit.

Penny Blood and Chocolate was a book that I didn't necessarily like the first time around--I wasn't exactly sure how I felt about it, to be honest.

Even though I didn't like the protagonist--she comes across as slutty and entirely too sure of herself--or anything she does, I still liked the ending (and not just because the book was finally over).

Because Blood and Chocolate left me feeling so perplexed, I needed to read it again (which I did, months later). The second time I read it I finally understood why the main character (can't think of her name right now) was so sure of herself and overly sexed. She's not entirely human--a fact that I was aware of the first read through but I didn't really think about.

She was raised to be comfortable with her sexuality, but not necessarily in a dirty way. Just not in a human way. And I realized she was so sure of herself because she was the Alpha's daughter, she so was treated accordingly.

The thing is, I liked that this girl--so sexual and so sure of herself--didn't understand love any more then your average teenager. If anything she struggled with it, with getting her heart broken, more then your average teenager. She reacts in a downright scary manner.

In the end, I came to the conclusion that the reason I liked Blood and Chocolate is because the main character gets over her heartbreak and even moves on--unfortunately this sort of thing doesn't happen very often in YA novels. And more importantly she learns there is more to love then just physical attraction or like-mindedness. And above all she learns to love her(whole)self.

Okay, I just wrote a review for Blood and Chocolate without meaning to. Oh well...

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Ohhh my gosh Penny this is HYSTERICAL!
I haven't read SHIVER yet, so I have nothing productive to add, except that I just love your review. It made my day!
"do these pants make my butt look fat?" hahha not even Edward Cullen would ask that!

message 5: by Penny (last edited Apr 05, 2010 06:18AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Penny I wrote this review when I was totally losing it. I've been reading at least two books a week for the last year. And over the year I've come across a lot of horrible YA fiction. This review wasn't supposed to be an angry rant but it turned out that way because I was so frustrated with the garbage publishing companies are cranking out these days.

Despite what this (and a few other of my reviews) says, I actually like a good paranormal romance. The key word being: good.

This book--the part of it that I did 'read', that is--is just insanely boring. And the premise is just...different, and not in a good way.

It was a little too Jacob/Renesmee in the sense that Sam and Grace first met when she was eleven and his pack is attacking her with the intent to kill her. They see eachother and there's some creepy connection. Over the years Grace can't stop thinking about the wolf with the yellow eyes, but not in an 'wow, that yellow-eyed wolf saved me' but in a way that is just creepy. And he's been thinking about her as well--again, in a creepy way. The creepiest thing is they never actually meet meet until Grace is seventeen.

The whole 'I have a strange fascination with the wolf that saved me' thing just grossed me out.

Don't even get me started on the other similarities between this book and the Twilight series. Actually, if you want to know more about that read Tatiana's review, which is a really good--totally rational--review of this book.

message 6: by Jillian -always aspiring- (last edited Apr 05, 2010 11:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jillian -always aspiring- I really enjoyed reading this review. XD While I DO admit that Sam does think more like a woman than a man, I still rather like him (okay, I'll be honest: he's the reason why I gave the book four stars instead of the initial three I thought to give it). But I do agree that Grace is very much Bella's evil, boring twin (can't stand the girl, blah).

ANYWAY -- I try not to let the "creepiness" of these YA supernatural connections affect my enjoyment of the story. Yes, I would REALLY DETEST such relationships in real life -- but, since the stories are fantasy and fiction, I can stomach them since I try to leave the rational thinking at the front door when I'm diving into a new YA read. (I still have issues with Jacob/Renesmee, though -- as most people who read the TWI-Saga do. ><)

That being said -- I'm so glad I didn't listen to the audiobook. XD Perhaps this review might have been a bit different if the audio version had been better cast . . . (Perhaps that one star would have been bumped up to two stars.)

(As for Blood and Chocolate -- I liked the ending very much, but I just couldn't stand Vivian's character, no matter the reasons behind and explanations for her attitude.)

message 7: by Annalisa (last edited Apr 05, 2010 01:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annalisa Penny,

Amelia,
You have to read this book now. I want to read your review :). It's one of those books that I get what people love about it and I get what people hate about it. On any given day my own review shows three or four stars depending on what reviews about it I've recently read.

Penny Jillian wrote: "I really enjoyed reading this review. XD While I DO admit that Sam does think more like a woman than a man, I still rather like him (okay, I'll be honest: he's the reason why I gave the book four..."

Okay, I admit it. I've been wondering if I should pick up a copy of Shiver. I'm wondering if I'll like if more that way. Especially since Annalisa seems to like it enough (I've noticed that I tend to agree with most of her reviews). If I can get a hands on a copy in the library I might just give it another try. We'll see.

Annalisa wrote: "Penny,
I just realized you answered my question. I will get back to Blood & Chocolate when I get through my stack of dystopia. You've made me curious."

You should revisit it. You might like it, though yeah, it is different. Like I said, I like it mostly because it's a YA novel that deals with heartbreak and moving on. I'm really tired of YA novels in which these kids (I can say kids now that I'm 30) are in love and they know it is true and forever love. And anything else is just impossible. I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY tired of it. So. Much.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist *raises hand*
I had an art teacher who gave off the whole child-molester vibe.
only...it was a woman
:S

kayla** Hahaha
Oh wow,
I actually thought I was alone in disliking this book!
It just didn't intrigue me, but it's reviews were so positive-
I thought maybe it was me being too harsh on a novel (again)
I finished the book. but it didn't have any effect on me...
Whew, glad I got that off my chest=]

Kat Kennedy Penny, resist the urge to pick up a copy of this. Please...

message 12: by Karly (new) - rated it 1 star

Karly I only bought the book because of the cover too, and yes I am kicking myself as well. I hated it. I didn't finish and ended up donating it to my schools library because I knew I never would!

message 13: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma It isn't like u could write better. Don't go telling everybody off just because u wish u could write like them. Atleast they got published! :)

Kat Kennedy That's the most ridiculous argument I've heard from a troll yet.

message 15: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Lol. I don't care wat ppl say. Its cali baby!

message 16: by AH (new) - added it

AH Emma wrote: "Lol. I don't care wat ppl say. Its cali baby!"

Huh?

message 17: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Never heard of that saying?

Kat Kennedy No, I change my mind - THAT is the most ridiculous troll argument yet.

Penny, what are you feeding your trolls? Its clearly degenerated what little brain power they started off with!

Regina Great review, I also listened to the audio and somehow muddled through to the end but I am so thankful that i downloaded it from the library and didn't use an audible credit. I think I ended up giving it 3 stars but only b/c I felt like I had somehow gone through a sort of rite just by getting through it. By the end I no longer cared if Sam stayed a werewolf or if Grace's parents would ever notice her. And why is it always the mom that is flakey in this YA novels? Anyway, I enjoyed your review. ;)

The Holy Terror Emma wrote: "It isn't like u could write better. Don't go telling everybody off just because u wish u could write like them. Atleast they got published! :)"

You know, I didn't hate this book but people might take your argument more seriously if you actually spelled complete words and typed coherently.

The Holy Terror AH wrote: "Emma wrote: "Lol. I don't care wat ppl say. Its cali baby!"

Huh?"

Lol, u nvr hrd of cali? Like, omg, were u ben?

message 22: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Ikr!

The Holy Terror -_-

::facepalm::

Misty [Where is the like button on the damn comments already?]
[[♥ to Penny, Kat and THT...]]

message 25: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma I love messing with u guys

message 26: by Penny (last edited Dec 31, 2010 07:22PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Penny Niiiiiiice. I step away from the computer and hilarity ensues. I always miss out on the fun!

I think I have a new catch phrase for the upcoming year: "It's Cali, Baby!" What it actually means is anybody's guess, but it's got a nice ring to it, right? Plus, I can always just throw it out there when I don't know what else to say. Everyone will be like, "WTF? What does that even mean?" And I'll be like: "Seriously? You've never heard of Cali? Where have you been for the last 15 minutes? It's like, The Best Thing Ever! Nerd." Then I'd proceed to laugh snobbishly as I walk away.

Emma, I don't try to publish anything I write. I've got other things to do. But here's the deal, were I to try to get something published I hope it's nothing like Shiver (or Fallen). If I ever were to crank out something as ridiculous as Shiver or Fallen (pretty much anything like Twilight), I hope my friends and family love me enough to tell the truth--that my Twilight rip-off needs to be thrown in the trash, stat.

Sure this book, and a whole bunch of other books exactly like it, got published, but these days that doesn't mean anything. At all. Especially in the world of YA paranormal romance. I'm positive my butt could write a better story then the vast majority of writers that fail to stay far away from the same old YA paranormal romance clichés.

So. Yeah... It's Cali, Baby!

message 27: by AH (new) - added it

AH Niiiiiice.

message 28: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma I respect you and your answer very much. And when to break it to u guys I come from california and short for that is cali. Alot of ppl there are very laid back which includes me. So thats why I say It's cali baby! But most ppl don't know that term so u can still trick them. Admiration goes ka'ching for pepper! FYI nobody likes being called a troll and who even says that anymore?

The Holy Terror Short for California is Cali?

For reals?

The Holy Terror Emma wrote: "Admiration goes ka'ching for pepper!"

But ...

I just ...

hmn.

message 31: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Yup

The Holy Terror Emma wrote: "Yup"

Kat Kennedy To be honest, comments like "I love messing with you guys!" would make us think of troll. How else are we supposed to interpret you?

Penny, Tatiana and I get trolls on our reviews constantly. It gets old.

message 34: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess hahaha, that is an amazing review!
Especially the bit about the audio-book narration.

message 35: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma There are many different things u could've called me. For example a pig. Penny is a very nice person and at least she has a sense of humor so now I just going to leave. See ya later peeps.

message 36: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma The Holy Terror wrote: "Emma wrote: "Yup"

I honestly don't know how to reply. I can't tell if you're messing around or completely oblivious. My money is on oblivious, since you think u and ppl are words."

Apparently you don't text or you have never heard of abbreviations.

The Holy Terror Emma wrote: "Apparently you don't text or you have never heard of abbreviations."

Like I said before, people would take your argument more seriously if you took the time to type out a coherent reply. Typing in abbreviations and "text speak" is lazy and makes you sound like a 12-year-old.

message 38: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Well first who said I wanted an arguement and second I AM a 12 yr old.

message 39: by The Holy Terror (last edited Jan 01, 2011 01:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

The Holy Terror Good job, you're acting your age then.

And you don't believe this post shows you wanted to start an argument?

message 40: by Arec (new) - added it

Arec So, I feel horrible because I was paying more attention to this ridiculous argument instead of the review. Sorry about that, fail on my part.

I am actually hesitant to read this book now. I have it sitting on my to-read shelf but the more I look at it, the more I have my doubts. This is actually the first negative review I have read on it however, though that really does not mean anything with the cult that Twilight managed to obtain.

message 41: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Yeah!! Glad I read your review before I loaded this on to my Ipod. Saved myself from another miss in teen literature.

message 42: by Chibineko (new) - added it

Chibineko Wow, this is like the best thread ever for a review! I wish there was a "like" function for this thread.

In any case, thanks for the review- I'll make sure to stay far away from the audio version of this!

Dylan Fuller Shiver is one of my favorite books ever! :) :)

Barbara (VampAngel) I didn't hate this book as much as I hated Fallen, but I can't understand why people rave about it. It is not, in my opinion, such a horrible book, but it's not great either. It's mainly just blah. Boring. I will never read the second one though.

message 45: by Lisa (last edited Mar 08, 2011 01:25PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lisa "Sam doesn't think like a guy. Not even a little. Sam thinks like a woman. A really boring older woman. No guy throws on a puffy coat and thinks "I look like a blimp in this thing." No heterosexual guy. No way. Not ever. I can't help but wonder if Sam ever gets around to asking Grace if his pants make his butt look fat."

I agree with your review, especially the quote above. I said an eerily similar thing in my own review. Later on Sam follows up the blimp comment with this one: " 'I don't even know what they are. Probably a million calories.' " He sounds like a woman.

message 46: by Cara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cara If you haven't read to the end then DON'T dis the book!! you just don't get the idea of reading behind the lines. Books like these you have to feel what's in them not read it like a newspaper. IT'S A BOOK I'M CRAZY ABOUT!!

Kat Kennedy I'm pretty sure Penny knows how to read a book. The ending sucked even bigger ass than this stupid book. Maybe YOU should read some decent literature so that you can compare it with the lackluster writing and story telling that is Shiver. 'Leaky Womb' *shudders* this book is almost as bad as Sam's poetry!

message 48: by AH (new) - added it

AH Dani, if you are crazy about this book, then by all means write a wonderful review about it.

Kat Kennedy You're so polite and tactful, AH. How do you do it?

message 50: by AH (new) - added it

AH I wanted to say something else, but I just couldn't be mean to a teen. (hey that rhymes!).

« previous 1