Brenda's Reviews > Blackbringer

Blackbringer by Laini Taylor

Oct 09, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, juvenile
Read in May, 2010 , read count: 1

I wish I was a good enough writer to convey exactly how much I loved this book. But I'm not, so I'm left with writing a review that will never do it justice. I think there are rare times in life when you read a book and you feel like it was written just for you. I can recognize that this book will never be as popular as some of the other juvenile or YA fiction out there, but it was perfect for me. I loved everything about it, and I can't think of one thing I didn't like.

For starters, this is what fairy stories should be like. The fairies were not humans with wings like I see so much of in stories now--they were small, completely different, exactly how fairies should be and so rarely are. Anyone who really knows me knows how much I love fairies. I have a fairly large collection, including a collection of warrior fairies, which made this book even better for me, because the main character in this is a warrior fairy. And she's so very likable and strong. This is what I've been missing in YA fiction. I'm sick of the simpering, man-obsessed girls, and this was exactly the opposite of that.

The other characters were wonderful. I loved the crows, more than I ever thought was possible to love animal characters. I loved the language, the writing, and the artwork--oh my goodness, I want to hang it on my walls; I just wish there would have been more! And I'm so excited that there's another book in this series for me to read. I would highly recommend this to YA fantasy fans--this will go on my very small list of all-time favorites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackbringer.

Quotes Brenda Liked

Laini Taylor
“I miss sunrise even more. The green scent of dawn in the forest? The color blushing back into the world, different every day.”
Laini Taylor, Blackbringer