Amy's Reviews > Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith

Amazing Grace by Kathleen Norris

Oct 09, 2009

Read in November, 2009

I would love to meet Kathleen Norris after reading this book. I would love to walk in her shoes, or maybe just know more about her.

Favorite quotes:

" 'Each one of us acts as an Antichrist," he said, "whenever we hear the gospel and do not do it.' "

"But in order to have an adult faith, most of us have to outgrow and unlearn much of what we were taught about religion."

"..it is only as one is at home in oneself that one may be truly hospitable to others --welcoming, but not overbearing, affably pliant but not subject to crass manipulation."

"Christians have been adept, and remarkably inventive, at interpreting God's commandments to cover just about anything they don't approve of. The effect of course, is to make the surpassingly large God of the scriptures into a petty Cosmic Patrolman. Addictions are not petty, but for Christians, fretting over them as exclusively moral issues can be a convenient way of ignoring Jesus' admonition that it isn't what we ingest into our bodies that is the root of our troubles, but what comes out of our hearts and minds."

"It is the people we live and work among who can teach us who God is, and who we really are."

"Once I began to realize how life-giving worship could be, I wondered how I could have been stupid enough to insist on living so long without it."

"If we've ever been on the receiving end of an act of mercy that made a difference in our lives, we have see the face of God."

"Probably the best thing we can do is to relax, take a deep breath, stop thinking about what we want or need, and forget about it. Seeking God, that is. Instead, we might wait, and begin to silently ponder the ways in which God may already have been seeking us, all along, in the faulty, scary stuff of our ordinary lives."

"For some reason we human beings seem to learn best how to love when we're a bit broken, when our plans fall apart, when our myths of our self-sufficiency and goodness and safety are shattered."

"The problem of theology is always to keep it within its boundaries as an adjunct and response to a lived faith."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amazing Grace.