Rob Hermanowski's Reviews > The Silmarillion

2820806
Apr 30, 10

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from March 28 to April 29, 2010

The three star rating of this briliant but difficult work needs to be further explained. This is most definitely a dense book to get through. Much of it reads like the boring parts of the Old Testament("so-and-so begat such-and-such" etc.). But flashes of familiarity (one example: the origin of the Balrogs) and my shear amazement at the complexity and depth of the world Tolkein created make me want to rate it much higher. Certainly the ending (in which the origin of the One Ring and the commencement of the Age of Man) was very satisfying for me. So, I'm going to be spineless fence-sitter and average the rating to three stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silmarillion.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Brandice Warning: This book MAY make you want to tear your hair out. It's more like a dry history text... very heavy reading. :)

message 4: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob Hermanowski Yes, I've heard that from others as well. It is near the bottom of my want-to-read list (and truthfully I'll probably never get to it).

message 3: by Tim (new)

Tim Gannon A friend, with similar tastes read this and said it sucked. Consequently it has been really low on my list of books too. Too many other intriguing books out there to prove someone else right.

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Leib Nice knowin' ya . . . kiss your sanity goodbye. Couldn't get past the 30th page or so myself. Maybe that's why I'm bald . . . .

message 1: by Tim (new)

Tim Gannon Wow - I may actually have to read it now. I would love to read about the Balrogs, the making of the one ring to rule them all, and the starting of the age of man! Maybe I will be spineless and just read the interesting parts. Hope the book has a good index!