Jim's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Oct 07, 2007

bookshelves: fiction, post-apocalyptic-dystopian, favorites
Read in October, 2006

I read everything by McCarthy. Without a doubt he should have by now been given the Nobel, in my humble opinion. Especially since he has delivered in three widely different genres, and continues to put out great pieces of fiction that also attract average readers. Excellent story of a man trying to survive and protect his child against terrible realities, to prepare him to continue on. Even if it is dark and troubling and with horrible imagery and events, the story grips you and propels you along. Very sad, but still with an inkling of hope. If you like post-apocalyptic stories, this one will not fail to impress you. There is one scene that may deeply trouble readers, as it did me, so horrible and inexplicable, but if you can get past it, everything else pales.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.

Cara Lee Glad to hear that you loved this book, too! I think it's one of the most darkly beautiful stories I've ever read. When I read the section about the trout in the streams, I cried. But you're right: though apocalyptic, it held a glimmer of hope, about our fundamental humanity as much as anything. I think that saved it from being depressing.

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim I am really hoping he follows the experience of the little boy further. Still a tale to be tol, me thinks.

message 3: by richard (new)

richard Good review, same thoughts. You might want to try out the guy they are calling "African Cormac McCarthy" by reading The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma. Moving and powerful and great prose