Kathleen's Reviews > What Do You Care What Other People Think?: Further Adventures of a Curious Character

What Do You Care What Other People Think? by Richard Feynman

Oct 09, 09

bookshelves: biography, history, math-science, non-fiction, read-in-2009
Read in October, 2009

Feynman was a great story teller, but not necessarily a great writer which is unfortunate. I could have loved this book--I did love this book--but the writing drew me out at points. For instance, the tense confusion irritates me sometimes while I read this book. Still, the stories are absolutely worth it.

The latter half of the book is given to Feynman's participation in the Challenger Investigation and it is truly fascinating. His style of investigating--asking very simple questions and pointing out gaping holes in other people's logic--is very much like his approach to science and because of that we can be amused while we learn. And what we learn! Feynman did not come up with the rubber-from-the-O-Ring-in-his-water-glass-during-the-hearing experiment on his own. Well, he did design the experiment, of course, but General Kutyna, another committee member, put the question of O-Ring contraction into his head. Kutyna, on the other hand, had actually gotten the skinny from an astronaut currently employed by NASA. He wanted to investigate it while protecting the astronaut, so he asked Feynman an innocuous question knowing there is no such thing. Clandestine!

This book is filled with great stories about science and the human condition. I highly recommend it for a little light reading.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Do You Care What Other People Think?.