Kathryn's Reviews > The Yellow Wallpaper

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Oct 10, 09

bookshelves: audiobook, classics, literary-horror
Read in October, 2009

I did not like the characters. I did not like the format, with the main character writing as in a journal. This led to a slightly awkward ending. I listened to a librivox recording and this is the first narration from the site that I can not recommend. I have a great deal of respect and graditude for librivox volunteers but my personal opinion is that this was read incorrectly. Even considering this, I have to rate 4 stars simply because the character's slip into madness was fascnating and rather satisfying since I did not like her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Yellow Wallpaper.

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I read this one out of Haunting Women. It was quite different from other ghost stories I've read, and one could argue that it was a sign of the protagonist's slip into madness. Pretty interesting, but not a favorite of mine.

Kathryn See, I didn't interpret it as a ghost story at all. I just thought of it as you said, about madness. Not a favorite of mine either but I loved the ending. Haunting Women looks interesting.

message 8: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, I think that was her concern at the time, the state of mental healthcare for women, i.e. "go to your room!" LOL.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) It's considered a ghost story classic, but I don't read it as one either. It's a bit surreal (in a mundane kind of way). You're right, NU. Ms. Gilman was a crusader for woman's rights.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Haunting Women seems interesting so far. I started it but put it down. That's not uncommon for me when it comes to anthologies. I'll definitely finish it one day.

Kathryn I often do the same with anthologies. :)

message 4: by Phoebebb (last edited Oct 11, 2009 07:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phoebebb Oh this is definitely a story about a woman’s journey into complete and utter madness. Here we have a woman suffering from depression and as was prescribed in those days she was to sit in isolation for most of the day and do absolutely nothing. Now today we know that this is the worst thing a depressed person can do, but back then it was believed to be the cure. So here we watch a woman slowly diving into the depths of insanity because of her solitude, and even when she reaches out to her husband he just sees her as the weaker sex and decides what is best for her. Imagine, sitting by yourself most of the day in a silent room, who wouldn’t go mad!?!? My favorite line is the last:

Now why should that man have fainted? But he did, and right across my path by the wall, so that I had to creep over him every time!

I can just see her crawling on the floor leaving a bloody impression on the wall from her continuous rounds, and now that that her husband is on the floor she repeatedly crawls over him in order to continue her task, with a look of total insanity in her eyes. I love this story!

Here is a link on the author and why she chose to write such a story. It’s short, but it gives you some great insight.

Kathryn Thanks Phoebebb! That was very interesting. And the final sentence made this a 4 star instead of a 3 star for me. Super creepy!

Michelle You're too hilarious. One of the reasons I love you -- because you smirk as a bitch descends into complete and utter dark madness. Hehehe...

message 1: by Kathryn (last edited May 07, 2011 05:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathryn At least I'm honest! :)