Krys's Reviews > Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Oct 08, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy, irish-scottish-setting, intermediate-middle-grade, own, series, priority-pile, asian-setting, third-person-narrative, short-length-book, read-in-2015
Read from June 22 to 28, 2015 , read count: 1

Artemis Fowl is a series by Eoin Colfer that I have back-burnered for a long time, so long now that the series is complete with eight books to its credit. It was one of the books that everyone voted into my Middle Grade summer reading challenge, so I was finally afforded the opportunity to read it. However, my read of this book was a mixed experience for me which I will try to explain as clearly as I can.

Artemis Fowl is a twelve-year-old genius, the son in an infamous family of criminal masterminds. He currently leads the Fowl empire; an undertaking that has its roots in Ireland generations earlier. He wants to acquire a largess of gold to further his empire and, to that end, has pursued a string of leads that bring him to the kidnapping of Holly Sharp; an Elven fairy of the LEPrecon police force. The LEPrecon patrol the fairy underworld beneath the earth's surface; a place where centaurs and gnomes, elves and fairies, trolls and dwarves still live. Artemis is determined to see this task to its end for one purpose in mind - to help his ailing mother.

This book is high-action, intense, and carefully thought out. The character dynamics are sharp and the execution striking. The mythos is creative and inventive and fun to follow along with. Therefore, I should have loved it with every fiber of my being.

The truth is that I had a hard time staying present while reading this book. I kept drifting and not paying attention to the text, no matter how intriguing it was. This indicates to me that this was not the time to read this book, nor any of its sequels. I think this is something that I would very much enjoy at another time of life.

So, with that in mind, I am putting the seven sequels aside to be read in the future when I want something of its ilk. I think I could very well love this series at a later date. For now, though, I'm not there.

4 out of 5 stars...for the promise of love at a later date.

- review courtesy of www.bibliopunkkreads.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artemis Fowl.

06/22/2015 marked as: currently-reading
06/25/2015 page 174
62.0% "Admittedly, I am not feeling this one as much as I should. Been having attention problems lately so I don't know if it's that or if it's a "not in the mood for this now" thing. Probably the latter."
06/28/2015 marked as: read