Lani's Reviews > The Lost Symbol

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Oct 26, 09

Read in October, 2009

Am I just a sucker for DC trivia, or did Dan Brown finally learn how to end a book?

It might actually be both...

I didn't expect to read another Robert Langdon book, and I certainly didn't expect to "need" to buy it while still in hardcover. But when I read an excerpt and found that it started out just blocks away from my old apartment at the Scottish Rite temple on 16th Street... There was really no way I couldn't read the book. Immediately.

Dan Brown's books are always excellent suspense, and I will unashamedly admit to staying up all night to finish this one. Even knowing how much I despise Brown's endings, I still had to power through to make it to this one. It wasn't anything spectacular, but the last few chapters didn't make me actually cringe and try to block them out. So that's something.

Mostly I was just thrilled to follow the characters through streets and buildings that I was familiar with. No matter how far-fetched the action got, I was usually pretty familiar with the distances they traveled, the landmarks they passed, and often right with them as they bounced from one clue to the next.

I'm not sure this book had quite the compelling conspiracy that the DaVinci Code had, but I did enjoy the style and writing more. As a history nerd and former DC resident this book had immediate appeal that I'm not sure would be universal. Still, it was decent suspense, with some fun DC trivia. I enjoyed it and thought it was better than his previous Langdon novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Symbol.