Terri's Reviews > World Without End

Oct 08, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook, historical-fiction
Read from August 27 to September 05, 2012

I enjoy medieval novels. I stayed up late while reading World Without End, eager to see what happened next. There were quite a few things that bugged me, though. There was modern language (who in the fourteenth century wondered abt others' self-esteem, do you think?), cardboard characters, cats are either owned by villains or symbolize villainy, and the primary heroine, Caris, is several centuries ahead of her time. It was nauseating. I despised her. The gap between the penultimate and final parts of the novel has a gap of ten years, during which a couple things happen that need some 'splaining. I understand the why, but I think the reader deserves to know how. I despised Caris by then, but the result deepened my dislike. She's considered a saint and an angel by the townsfolk, but not by me.

The other heroine, Gwenda, was strong, resourceful, steadfast, and resilient, and led a more authentic medieval life.

Despite my critcism, I did enjoy this book. However, Pillars of the Earth was better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World Without End.