Dia's Reviews > The Magicians

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Oct 31, 09

Read in October, 2009

I have yet to meet anyone who likes this book, but I thought it was awesome. A cross between Harry Potter, The Secret History, and The Chronicles of Narnia. It's actually MUCH more like the Narnia books than like Harry Potter, despite all the HP references. The writing is gorgeous--there's all this vivid imagery. I love that kind of writing. The main character is kind of a putz, but a realistic putz. Not a whole lot of characters to root for. With the exception of Alice--who's awesome--they're all kind of jerks, but I think it's their power that made them that way--when you can do anything you want, get anything you want, why wouldn't you become a jerk?

But this is an excellent coming-of-age story with a more realistic, sexed up view of what a magical society would be like. So don't go into it expecting heroes and whimsy cuz this ain't that kind of book. There's one scene in particular, when the students turn into arctic foxes? I mean, thumbs-up to Grossman for having the balls to even go there.

Really excellent read, and hopefully there will be a sequel to make up for the lame ending. And that's how I KNOW it's good, when the ending sucks and I still like the book. xD That almost never happens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians.

10/19/2009 page 247