Christian's Reviews > Are We There Yet?

Are We There Yet? by David Levithan

Oct 08, 09

Read in November, 2005

Brothers Elijah and Danny, who used to be quite close, have grown apart as they've gotten older. Now in his early twenties, Danny is a rising professional and workaholic. Elijah, entering his senior year in school, is much more laid back. Trying to repair the rift in the boys' relationship, their parents trick them into going to Italy for a 10-day vacation. Initially disgruntled at having to spend this time with each other, they eventually begin to understand one another again and learn who they are.

This is an interesting and well-written book. Levithan takes on the difficult task of writing it in alternating third person omniscient present. At first, it's an odd voice and perspective to adjust to, but Levithan works well with it. You get to understand both Danny and Elijah, and you feel who they are in a compelling way as you being to understand how each boy thinks and why he can't grasp who his brother is.

In terms of Levithan's work, this is a good book. It's far better than Boy Meets Boy (I thought the world Levithan created there was unrealistic) but not quite as good as The Realm of Possibility (but I'm a sucker for narrative free-verse poetry).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Are We There Yet?.