NSAndrew Liebergen's Reviews > My Name Is Maria Isabel

My Name Is Maria Isabel by Alma Flor Ada

Oct 08, 09

bookshelves: multicultural
Read in September, 2009

For María Isabel Salazar López, the hardest thing about being the new girl in school is that the teacher doesn't call her by her real name. "We already have two Marías in this class," says her teacher. "Why don't we call you Mary instead?"

But María Isabel has been named for her Papá's mother and for Chabela, her beloved Puerto Rican grandmother. Can she find a way to make her teacher see that if she loses her name, she's lost the most important part of herself?

Synopsis:
Third grader Maria Isabel, born in Puerto Rico and now living in the U.S., wants badly to fit in at school; and the teacher's writing assignment "My Greatest Wish" gives her that opportunity.
Synopsis:

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name Is Maria Isabel.

message 1: by Alma (new) - added it

Alma Ada Thanks for reviewing my book My Name is Maria Isabel. Ever since it was published I have received numerous letters and emails from the most diverse people, all over the country, who feel a strong connection to the story. It is particularly moving for me that adults and children alike feel that somehow the book was written especially for them.
Thanks for facilitating the "magical encounter" between children and books. All best wishes.
Alma Flor Ada www.almaflorada.com