Natalie's Reviews > Possessions

1969199
Oct 12, 2009

liked it
Read in October, 2009

Possessions is the first book I've read by Nancy Holder, but I can definitely say it won't be the last.

Prior to reading this book, I'd read a review that said Possessions would be the result if Stephen King were asked to write Gossip Girls. I'd have to say that that statement's fairly accurate. Possessions has all of the drama associated with your typical high school "in-crowd," and, combined with a thrilling supernatural twist, it makes for a read that will have you turning pages and possibly huddling under the covers at night.

Hmm...problems I had with this book...Thankfully, there weren't any that jumped out at me and hit me over the head with a sledgehammer (believe me, it's happened), but, being the nitpicky reader I am, I have to, well, nitpick just a little. In all honesty, the first half of the book didn't completely grab my attention. It was by no means at all poorly written (I actually liked the writing style quite a bit), but it read very much like a first-in-a-series book, with a lot of character and setting background, which is sometimes necessary, but it doesn't always make for the most interesting reading experience.

With that being said, the last 100 pages of Possessions were bordering on phenomenal. I enjoyed them so much that I would recommend reading the book even if the rest of it was comprised of my mother's grocery list (which it's not, I promise). I stayed up until 4 AM my time to finish the book, and am writing this review at 5 because I couldn't stop thinking about how it ended.

Overall, Possessions makes for an entertaining, suspenseful read and definitely has me looking out for its sequel, The Evil Within, which will be published in June of 2010.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Possessions.

10/08/2009 page 19
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Cara (new)

Cara I've done that qutie a few times myself:D It's not good for my health *sigh* books are so addictive.

Nisha If you like Nancy Holder, then have you read her book called "Pretty Little Devils"?? It's AMAZING!!!

Natalie I own it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks for the recommendation, though!