Jason Smith's Reviews > Jacob's Room

Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf

Oct 30, 2009

I've seen Jacob's Room dismissed as nothing more than Woolf perpetrating a lifeless modernist exercise (as evidenced by some of the critical content within). While there are certainly some extended passages that wear on even the most permissive of attention spans, I found much to be valued in the work. Woolf's evocation of London is positively fantastic; a comparison could be made to Joyce's depiction of Dublin in Ulysses, albeit in a far foreshortened manner. Her use of language is both rich and novel. I found myself returning to passages throughout the book to come through their layers.

If this book served no other purpose, it can at least be said to have provided me with a strong reminder that I desperately need to read more Virginia Woolf.

Side note: pick up the Norton edition. The wealth of content following the novel is invaluable in relation to the book. See her heavily edited holograph of the book displays a writer who's eraser can be wielded as powerfully and effectively as her pen.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jacob's Room.