Rhianon's Reviews > Caged

Caged by Sean Michael

Oct 08, 09

bookshelves: m-m, slave-fic
Recommended for: M/M fans who don't mind strong BDSM scenes.
Read in October, 2009

This one has a very unique voice, conveying the psyche of slave character, Tigre, more fully than I imagined possible.
Michael left me curious, though, about the world-building details that got left out -- or edited out. There was a great deal that could have been done with this setting, these characters, but wasn't.
I appreciated the effort and rationale behind creating a svelte top with a selective speech impediment. It humanized Palin and made him seem real.
Michael also did a commendable job of drawing the reader into those qualities of a balanced D/s relationship and the benefits of sadomasochism -- for those that choose such an avenue. Not everyone grasps that psychological need, and Michael shows the intimate nuances of it beautifully.
One of my other issues with this story had to do with the final scene, involving anal fisting. Granted the top was slight in frame and likely had a small hand, compared to the large build of the bottom. But for the entire hand to just slide in from knuckles to wrist without any effort involved -- I question the realism of that. It shattered my suspension of disbelief, unfortunately.

A few niggling aspects kept me from giving this a full five star rating, but there was definitely lots to like about this one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caged.