Chana's Reviews > Love in the Time of Cholera

Oct 07, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: literature-fiction, ggm
Read in October, 2009 , read count: 1

I am so incredibly disappointed, I can hardly believe this is Gabriel Garcia Marquez! Where is the magic? This sounded more like the rantings and meanderings of some old man. I hated the character of Florentino Arizo and disliked the rest of the book almost as much. The book felt disjointed, I kept waiting for some revelation regarding Jeremiah de Saint Amour. Characters come and go, things happen. Fermina Daza acts like a character who would rather not be in the book. I was also lost. I never could figure out exactly where I was, it would have taken some research, the book didn't make it clear to someone who doesn't know the geography or history of the Caribbean. This is a love story? This is a blech story of two people, one of whom has good instincts when she is young but becomes a widow of bad sense and worse breath when she is old. The ending is as bad as any ending I have ever read before. And Florentino Arizo belongs in jail. Maybe the boat captain will do them in, just a couple more bloated bodies floating down the destroyed river, The End!
Rated 2 rather than 1 because the sentences are lovely even if they don't make a good story, IMHO.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in the Time of Cholera.

10/11/2009 page 249