Lori's Reviews > The Other

The Other by David Guterson

Jan 10, 10

Read in January, 2010

I’m not certain how to rate this book. It was tedious for me at times, filled with tangents and interwoven timelines, and often made me feel off balance as a reader.

However, the book also compelled me to consider several interesting questions:

Is it ethical to assist a friend if your assistance might result in his suffering? What if his choice of existence only constitutes suffering in the eyes of others and to him is the epitome of happiness and fulfillment? Does the fact that he might be mentally ill change the equation?
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other.

01/01/2010 page 58
show 1 hidden update…

Leigh Farrell Lori,
I read this book after the death of my brother in law. He stopped taking his anti rejection drugs, and he had told friends who didn't tell my sister. The character who died was so like my brother in law, and yes, we later questioned his mental health. I guess the book helped me to see that we have to let people live their own lives, but we also have to protect ourselves from their mistakes. I liked your review very much. It was thought provoking, hence this short note.

Lori Leigh,

Thank you for sharing your story with me. When I read your comment, that C.S. Lewis quote came to mind, "We read to know that we are not alone."

I noticed that we have a similar rating on some of the books we've read, so I took the liberty of adding a couple of your favorites to my "to read" list.

Lori

Leigh Farrell Thanks for responding, Lori. The friends of his not telling have their own sorrow ( and I suppose some guilt) to deal with. I liked the C.S. Lewis quote, but I have been a fan of Lewis since age 10. :)

I noticed your list as well! Have you read any Mark Spragg? I loved his memoir, beautiful writing, I really was able to see in my mind the beautiful landscape of Wyoming. It's funny that their are so many books we have read, but at this point, I can't remember so many of them, or they are out of print. I'm sure most of us have read much more than our totals in Goodreads. Oh yeah- The Other was indeed tedious at times. I had to reread a lot of pages because I would tend to drift and not absorb what I "read". I thought your review was right on.
~Leigh