Kay's Reviews > Agent Zigzag: A True Story of Nazi Espionage, Love, and Betrayal

Agent Zigzag by Ben Macintyre

Dec 14, 07

bookshelves: espionage, world_war_ii, nonfiction
Read in November, 2007

Strangely enough, there were two books published in September 2007 about Eddie Chapman, which may have something to do with information having become available to researchers about his wartime role as double agent, but it was an odd coincidence nonetheless. After reading Amazon reviews of both books, however, I opted to read this one, and I think I made the right choice.

If tales of real-life spies are your bag, then you'll eat this up. Nothing sensational other than the facts themselves here, which is something I respected. Chapman was a deeply flawed character, but McIntyre makes a good case for calling him a hero. Of particular interest to me was how Chapman came to identify with one of his German handlers -- there's a poignant bit at the end I won't spoil for you, but let's just say it was a very fitting end to the tale.

I've had McIntyre's The Man Who Would Be King languishing on my shelves for several years, and now I think I'll try to find some time over the holidays to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agent Zigzag.