Crystal's Reviews > Battle Royale

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

Dec 09, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in December, 2009

If you are looking for a fast paced, edge of your seat, thriller this book is the one to pick up. I never wanted to put it down and the characters stayed in my head long after I did put it down. Unlike Hunger Games in this book you get to see what everybody is thinking and you get to experience every death. This book seems to be the grown up version of HG. In the book everybody in the chosen class knows each other and this adds a different dimension to the already intense plot. SOme characters were scary and others you just have to feel sorry for because they are scared and don't know what to do. All in all this is a great book and I would definitely recommend it.

Reading Challenge-50 pts (4 of 6 classics)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Royale.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tatiana Wonder what you think about this one...

Crystal I really like it so far. Very suspenseful and shocking.

Tatiana I liked it, but I had the hardest time keeping up with the names. I had to have a cheat sheet:)

BTW, did you know a lot of people say Hunger Games is a Battle Royale rip-off?

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather You've beat me to reading this Crystal, It's on my TBR.

Crystal The names are giving me trouble too. I have the main characters down but that is all. I have been doing a lot of flipping back so I will probably do a cheat sheet today =) I can see the where Collins got her idea from and I am kinda shocked they are so similar. Can't any author think up there own storyline?

Heather you should move it up in your TBR pile it is really good.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather Will do, maybe this new library will have it in stock, I'll have to check.

Tatiana Yay! I am so happy you liked it:o)

Crystal I really did! I am going to post my review tomorrow. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and I liked how the author wasn't afraid to let his characters go. Poor Shinji =(

Tatiana I liked that he wrote what was going on in everybody's head, what made them do or do not do certain things. In HG it's not really clear what drives kids to k!ll each other.

Crystal I did too. I also liked how they all new each other and you got to see their relationships and how they reacted to each other. It was way more intense than HG.

message 11: by Tatiana (last edited Dec 08, 2009 09:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana Agree, HG more of a girl book, heavier on romance.

Crystal I almost had to stop reading this one at night because the descriptions were so vivid that I had nightmares a couple of times. I couldn't get it out of my head. Which character were you routing for that didn't make it?

message 13: by Tatiana (last edited Dec 09, 2009 05:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana I kind of knew that the couple will make it (I don't remember anyone's names). But I felt very sorry for the guy who had to participate the second time. I wanted him to make it.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather I liked your review Crystal. I'll definitly have to read this soon.

Crystal Thanks! It is really good and I think you will like it =)

Crystal Tatiana wrote: "I kind of knew that the couple will make it (I don't remember anyone's names). But I felt very sorry for the guy who had to participate the second time. I wanted him to make it."

I know I was shocked that he had to go in again.