Amanda's Reviews > Cinderella: The Graphic Novel

Oct 08, 09

bookshelves: traditional, graphic-novels
Read in October, 2009

Cinderella The Graphic Novel:
Summary- Cinderella- The Graphic Novel was published this year in 2009. It is a “graphic spin” on Cinderella as it says on the back cover of the book. The book begins with the cast of characters including: the evil stepsisters, the evil stepmother, the father, the prince, Cinderella, and the fairy godmother. This version of Cinderella takes a bit of a darker tone then the typical version most are used to. The colors in the book are very burnt and dark and the facial expressions are more evil then expected. Cinderella is referred to as “Ella” through the beginning of the story until her stepsisters name her Cinderella for being as dirty as the cinders. Cinderella is very sad about her mothers death and weeps at her grave quite often. The twist on this version of the story is that birds come to help Cinderella with her given chores. The fairy godmother comes to take care of the carriage and clothes. The glass slipper gets lost at the stroke of midnight and when the prince comes to find her she introduces herself as Ella. At her wedding the evil family members come and the helpful birds attack and scare them away. The end of the book includes: about the author, about the illustrator, glossary, history of Cinderella, discussion questions, writing prompts, and internet sites.
Reflection-
I was so thrilled to see that there was a graphic novel version of the traditional Cinderella story. I was wrapped up in the story right away even though I had heard it many times before. The main story was the same as most would know, but there was a very dark feeling to the story. It almost had a gothic feel to it. The cover text was in a gothic font and all of the pictures are of dark colors. I think that If I were to use the Cinderella story in my classroom, this might be a version that would appeal to the boys in the room as well as the girls because of the tone. The pages had, on average, 2-3 boxes on them in true graphic novel form. The book was a quick read and was not very detailed, yet because of the format of the book I felt that the characters were still very well developed. This book was published in 2009, and because of that it seems that many would be interested in it because of the structure. This book really showed me how much influence the structure, pictures, and format of the book have on the story as well as the audience. I would suggest making sure to read all of the information at the end of the book. The author added really helpful information about herself, the illustrator, the history of Cinderella, vocabulary, as well as internet sites. I would recommend this book to all levels of readers because I think it would be understood and appreciated by all.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinderella.